70 arrested in Sumter Co. during 'Operation Eclipse' drug operation
On Sunday, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office announced they arrested 70 individuals as the result of a six-month undercover drug operation.
Sheriff Anthony Dennis stated that the operation lasted so long due to the number of people involved. The operation resulted in the seizure of methamphetamine, opiates, marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine, heroin, and firearms. A total of 21 firearms were confiscated, as well as $108, 931.64.
Multiple agencies assisted the department, including:
- Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)
- Clarendon County Sheriff’s Office
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Lee County Sheriff’s Office
- Manning Police Department
- Richland County Sheriff’s Department
- Sumter Lee Regional Detention Center
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED)
- South Carolina Highway Patrol (SCHP)
- South Carolina Probation, Parole and Pardon Service
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- South Carolina Forestry Commission
“Any time we have an operation of this magnitude, we solicit the assistance from other agencies,” Dennis said. “All of us work together well. We always want to help each other.”
In addition to the large number of individuals arrested, Dennis says they still have 20 outstanding warrants.