75
      Monday
      88 / 73
      Tuesday
      88 / 72
      Wednesday
      89 / 73

      Bodies of 3 slain SC Guardsmen return next week

      Maj. Gen. Robert Livingstone says the attack occurred Wednesday in the city of Khost. The attack claimed 21 lives in all.

      COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- The bodies of three South Carolina Army National Guard soldiers killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan are expected to return home next week.

      Maj. Gen. Robert Livingston said Friday that funerals for 1st Lt. Ryan Rawl of Lexington, Sgt. First Class Matthew Thomas of Easley and Spc. John Meador of Columbia, would likely happen toward the end of next week.

      Livingston says some of the five Guardsmen wounded in the attack suffered broken bones, shrapnel wounds and have had amputations.

      All eight were with the 133rd Military Police Company, based in Timmonsville. The unit was activated last year and was scheduled to return home in August.

      Livingston says the attack occurred Wednesday in the city of Khost. The attack claimed 21 lives in all.

      ------

      (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)