59
      Sunday
      83 / 60
      Monday
      84 / 65
      Tuesday
      84 / 65

      Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

      A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen of a fire station.


      COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen of a fire station.


      Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said sprinklers helped contain the blaze Monday evening before firefighters could get back to the station, but the fire still caused $20,000 in damage.


      Jenkins says the fire station was empty when the grease caught fire because all the firefighters were responding to several call during a thunderstorm.


      The fire chief says he knows some people might laugh at a firefighter causing a fire. But Jenkins says it shows fires can happen anywhere and no one is immune from a careless mistake that might spark a blaze.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER