Fair worker dies after electrocution
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:26:58 GMT —
COLUMBIA (WACH) -- A traveling fair worker setting up at the South Carolina State Fairgrounds died Monday evening.
Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says the power was not secured on the ride that was being worked on. Jenkins says the worker was performing electronics work on The Rainbow ride when he was electrocuted.
The power should have been off, but it's unsure at this time who was responsible for shutting off the power on the ride.
According to State Fair General Manager Gary Goodman, the worker was 43-year-old Roger Thompson of Brooksville, Florida.
Goodman says Thompson had been with North American Midway Entertainment for over 20 years and was working as a chief electrician.
State Fair manager Gary Goodman says it's unclear what happened. Columbia and Richland County officials and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating.
The fair opens Wednesday.
A North American Midway employee was killed in Columbia in 2008 when he was hit by a ride.