75
      Sunday
      84 / 74
      Monday
      88 / 69
      Tuesday
      89 / 69

      Firefighter, resident injured in Columbia house fire

      Although firefighters extinguished the fire within minutes, damages to the home were estimated at more than $50,000.

      COLUMBIA (WACH) - Two people are injured after a house fire Tuesday that occurred off of Leesburg Road.

      Firefighters responded to a home on Beckley Drive just before noon.

      Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis says the fire was caused by unattended cooking. Two people have been displaced.

      A woman who was sleeping in the home at the time of the fire was sent to the hospital with injuries that fire officials believe to be related to smoke. The other resident was not home at the time.

      A firefighter was also injured in a fall while he was working to put out the flames.

      Although firefighters extinguished the fire within minutes, damages to the home were estimated at more than $50,000.