Here is your Good Day Columbia GDC Morning WACH for Friday December 20, 2013:
We are inching ever so close to Christmas, and with that, there are a few things we want to fill you in about.
There is a six-inch water main break on Lexington Street, between Chapin Road and Columbia Avenue. Be sure to boil water for at least 1 minute before you drink it ?? also let it cool down a bit.
Stockton Family and Cosmetic Dentistry is collecting canned goods and non-perishable food items for Transitions. You can drop off food all day today.
If you are looking for a fun date night, Historic Columbia has its annual carriage ride and candle event. Rides start at 5:30 this afternoon. HERE is more information, and just for fun, if you want to learn by Santa now wears a red suit, WATCH the interview Tyler did HERE.
If you are near the Wal-Mart on Forest Drive, Men of Faith Across the Midlands is hoping you will be in the giving spirit. Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. until noon, they will be collecting funds to buy gifts for children.
Last minute gift ideas that keep giving
Speaking of spirits, if you are looking for some last night gifts that will make you top of mind many times over, Crystal Barley from Pernod-Ricard suggested these liquid ideas:
Great gifts with spirit ?? a nice bottle of something special makes a great holiday gift option. It??s more than just the liquid in the bottle, spirits are enjoyed during celebrations and are a part of many important moments in life, and every time that bottle is cracked, they??ll think of you!
- Gifts for that hard to shop for or discerning man:
- The Glenlivet 15 year
- 15 year old single malt, French oak barrel finish, pairs well with a nice cigar (you can find this out there for around $64.99 retail cost)
- Glenlivet is the number one selling single malt in the us & globally ?? this is a hot gift!
- You can never go wrong with gifting a high quality single malt
- Chivas 18 year
- 18 year blended scotch from Chivas real
- Longmorn & Strathisla make for a long finish, hints of dried fruit and nuts
- The Glenlivet 15 year
- Great gift item for anyone ?? Absolute-Tune
- o Universal and a very unique gift for men or women
- o Sparkling sauvignon blanc + Absolute 80
- o Makes a beautiful gift with just a bow and peeking out of a stocking
- o Great option to toast on new year's (you can find this out there for around $27.99 in stores on the spirits side)
- Tins & gift boxes ?? there always a great selection of holiday tins/gift boxes available.
So you want to have a party, but how much do you buy?
If you have ever hosted a party, you know that picking up the right about of libations can be tricky. Crystal said that a good rule of thumb is estimate 1 cocktail per person for hour. Doing the math, this means that 20 people for a 3 hour party is about 60 drinks. So how do you buy enough?
- 1.75l = 35 - 40 cocktails
- Liter = 20 -25 cocktails
- 750ml = 15-20 cocktails
Here is Crystal??s shopping list of must haves:
- Vodka ??
o Most popular spirit category
o Suggest you purchase 2 to 1 compared to other spirits.
o Typically mixed with cranberry or o.j.
o Every home bar should have at least one if not 2 bottles
Whiskey ?? North American whiskey ?? Canadian or bourbon,
o Eye whiskey on the market, typically mixed with coke or ginger ale
o Every home bar should have one bottle of bourbon or whiskey
o Every home bar needs a good London dry gin
o Mix with club soda
o Light run is always a good choice
o Mix with pineapple or coca cola or any fruit juices
o Every home bar needs one bottle of good rum
o This is optional, however, a great choice for the summer months
o I would say tequila is optional for the home bar ?? but
From Hollywood to GDC
Actor Fred Galle joined us this morning to talk about his appearance alongside the rest of the Anchorman 2 cast. Fred plays Jack Lime??s weatherman in the movie, which made $8 million on its opening day.
Good Day is the Midlands only local 4 hour television morning show, providing news, weather, traffic, information, entertainment, and fun to Columbia, Lexington, Batesburg, Kershaw, Newberry, Saluda, Sandy Run, Chapin, Cayce, South Congaree, Orangeburg, Camden, and the other areas of the Midlands of South Carolina.
Be sure to connect with the GDC Team!