COLUBMIA (WACH) â?? Governor Nikki Haley has issued a State of Emergency for the Palmetto State, to remain in effect until the end of the storm.
According to a press release from the Governorâ??s Office, The South Carolina Emergency Management Division and members of the State Emergency Response Team have activated the South Carolina Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) at Operation Condition 3 (OpCon 3). The SEOC will remain activated for the duration of this event.
OpCon 3 is the stateâ??s prepared level when a disaster or emergency situation is likely. The South Carolina Emergency Operations Plan and the appropriate specific impact hazard emergency plan is activated.
The Governor also ordered that all state government offices follow county government closing decisions, which means that if a county decides to close for the day, state offices in that county would also follow the same schedule.
The state of emergency calls for the following:
- The South Carolina Department of Transportation has crews salting roads throughout the state. Conditions on many roadways are expected to be extremely hazardous. You are urged not to drive unless absolutely necessary.
- The South Carolina Highway Patrol is sending additional personnel to staging areas, including resources from the State Law Enforcement Division and the Department of Natural Resources. Although traffic is light at this point, there have been reports of accidents and disabled motorists.
- S.C. National Guard soldiers are standing by to assist first responders and state agencies should additional support be needed.
- S.C. Department of Social Services staff, American Red Cross and Salvation Army volunteers are standing by to operate shelters should they become necessary.
- State Office of Regulatory Staff is working with the power utilities to track potential power outages and restoration time estimates should the storm cause power outages. The power companies report their preparedness for the storm is high; however, if you lose power, you are urged to report the outage to you utility.
- The State Fire Marshalâ??s Office and S.C. Forestry Commission are standing by to provide personnel and vehicle support as requested.
WACH Fox will continue to monitor the storm, bring you the very latest on closings, the status of the storm, and other information.
Download the WACH Fox mobile App to receive instant updates about the weather.
Link for iOS download.
Link for Android download.
Also, stay connected with WACH Fox and the SkyWACH Weather Team online and on-the-go with the following options:
Email us your winter weather pictures.
Stay up-to-date with area closings.
Post your pictures on our facebook page.
Click here for the latest power outages.
Stay tuned to the SkyWACH Weather Team for the latest.