81 / 62
      82 / 66
      73 / 60

      Hotel horrors, avoiding the silent killer

      Keeping you and your family safe from the "Silent Killer."

      COLUMBIA (WACH) -- South Carolina hotels will become a home away from home for many across the nation this summer.

      But a nice relaxing vacation and time by the pool could turn deadly.

      ??It depends how much you breath in,?? says Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins.

      Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins is talking about Carbon Monoxide.

      It??s often called the "silent killer."

      That??s because you can't smell the gas or see it.

      The poisonous gas results from incomplete burning of fuel, like gas, oil and wood.

      In a nutshell Carbon Monoxide interferes with your body's ability to transfer oxygen.

      When this happens you'll experience headaches, dizziness, nausea and even death.

      Just last year three people died at this Boone, North Carolina Best Western.

      Investigators say carbon monoxide from the swimming pools water heater travelled through a corroded exhaust pipe going into room 225.

      The gas killing an 11 year boy and an elderly couple.

      The deaths caused many states to evaluate how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels and public buildings.

      Last year South Carolina adopted a new code that requires hotels to install Carbon Monoxide detectors.

      But there's an exception, only if those buildings have a clear source of Carbon Monoxide danger.

      ??A hotel that has a parking garage attached to it that??s a source. If it had a gas, fire appliance, a fuel fire appliance. So if you have wood burning stove, if you have natural gas propane those types of fuel fire appliances,?? says Shane Ray, South Carolina Fire Marshal.

      State Fire Marshal Shane Ray says when booking a hotel or resorts feel free to ask what type of appliances are in the room.

      A number of hotels are part of the American Hotel & Lodging Association.

      The organization issued a statement about the deadly gas saying in part: proper installation and maintenance of fuel-fired equipment including adhering to the manufacturers product warnings are the best measures to ensure no adverse carbon monoxide exposure occurs.

      For those of you having a staycation, you're not out of the woods either.

      Medical experts like Dr. Milton Morris professor at Benedict College says items in your home could kill you.

      ??Gasoline grill or even a charcoal grill. If you're using those in relativity confined spaces when you don't get complete combustion, utilizing a grill to grill your delicious steak, you can become at risk,?? says Dr. Milton Morris, Benedict College.

      So before you head out with the family don't be afraid to ask questions and take a look around your potential hotel room to make sure your vacation doesn't take a turn for the worst.