Man sentenced in Carter Strange beating

During Wednesday's hearing, Henrey said he was just hanging out with friends the night Strange was attacked and he had no intent of harming the teen.

COLUMBIA (WACH) -- A man accused in the June 2011 beating of Columbia teen Carter Strange has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Strange said the sentence is the "right amount of time."

On Wednesday, Tyheem Henrey, 20, pleaded guilty to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, and criminal conspiracy

Henrey pleaded guilty to reduce his original charges of assault and battery by a mob in the second degree, strong armed robbery and criminal conspiracy

He was one of eight defendants charged in the June beating of Strange in Columbia's Five Points area.

Related Stories

Another court hearing for Columbia teen attacked near Five Points

Family of Five Points beating victim outraged

Teens sentenced in Five Points beating

Community members come together for Carter Strange

After the sentencing, Strange spoke to WACH Fox News to give his opinion of the punishment.

"I think it was the right sentencing. I hope that's enough time to rehabilitate and get his life in order," said Strange. "I hate that any of us including them (his attackers) have to go through this whole process. It's exhausting."

During the court hearing, Henrey's mother told the judge that her son is not the monster that he has been portrayed to be.

Henrey said he prays for Carter in jail and is sorry about what happened. He said was just hanging out with friends the night Strange was attacked and had no intent of harming the teen.

According to Strangeâ??s mother, the family has racked up $100,000 worth of medical bills due to the multiple surgeries Carter needed to deal with head trauma suffered in the beating. Carterâ??s father had just gotten a job around the time of the beating and his insurance benefits had not started at that time.

Strange routinely sees a counselor to cope with the incident. To this day, the teen says he can't remember anything from that night.

He was able to crawl to the street from a parking lot where the attack happened. A passerby found him hours later and alerted police.

"Obviously my perspective on life has changed," said Strange. "It's a huge thing to have to go through. A near-death experience is a lot to deal with. So yeah, I've changed."

The Solicitor's Office filed a motion requesting one other juvenile defendant's case to be tried in General Sessions Court, but a family court judge ruled the 15-year-old would not be tried as an adult.

That teen is charged with assault and battery by a mob.

Four other suspects have already been punished by the juvenile justice system.

Delarret Canzater, 14, will be prosecuted as an adult for his involvement on June 30.

One other adult is awaiting trial.

Strange says attending all the legal hearings has been "exhausting" for him and his family, and says once the justice system has run its course in the case he will have "freedom."

The teen's family and friends have created a

Facebook page

and a


to show their support for his case.