82
      Sunday
      85 / 66
      Monday
      85 / 69
      Tuesday
      87 / 67

      Occupy Charleston protesters can return to park

      CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP, WACH) -- A judge has ruled that 10 Occupy Charleston protesters arrested last week can return to Marion Square while they await trial.

      Municipal Court Judge Joseph Mendelsohn said Thursday the protesters must follow park rules.

      The protesters were arrested Nov. 23 for refusing to leave Marion Square after it closed at 11 p.m.

      Charleston Mayor Joe Riley told protesters the day before that they weren't allowed to stay in the park after it closed. Despite the mayor's statement, those 10 protesters did not leave Marion Square.

      College of Charleston student Josh Richmond told the Post and Courier that police formed a "body wall" and arrested anyone still in the park after 11 p.m.

      Nine of the protesters are scheduled to appear in court next month.

      The Associated Press contributed to this report.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER