Overnight chase leads police to carjacking suspect

Devontae Bryant

COLUMBIA (WACH) - Columbia Police have captured a carjacking suspect after an overnight highway car chase.

Shortly before 1am, CPD officers were dispatched to the In Town Suites (Extended Stay) on Columbiana Drive regarding a carjacking.

The male and female victims say they were sitting in a parked Oldsmobile when an armed male approached them and demanded money. They say the robber opened the passenger door, assualted the male victim and forced the female out of the car. She was not injured.

The male passenger says he was able to run to safety and call 911 from a nearby hotel. The female victim flagged down the responding officer on site.

While officers were patrolling the area, they received a call at 1:30am regarding a larceny at Wal-Mart store on Harbison Boulevard. Columbia Police Spokesperson said officers attempted to pullover a car near Harbison Boulevard but the car did not stop.

A review of surveillance video by CPD offices shows the stolen Oldsmobile and a black Camaro, which was later identified as being stolen from the Richland County Sheriff's Department jurisdiction.

At 2:30am, Officers received a civil disturbance call regarding two armed males in a black Camaro, allegedly chasing individuals at Paces Brook Apartments located at 112 Paces Brook Avenue.

The victims tell CPD that they met the suspects previously. Officers spotted a black Camaro leaving the are at a high rate of speed. An additional Officer had to jump out of the way for safety as the car was speeding through the parking lot.

The Camaro driver allegedly tried to elude police on Harbison Boulevard and Piney Grove Road on a chase before crashing the vehicle.

Officers arrested 21 year-old Devontae Bryant for accessory to carjacking and failure to stop on police command. He is currently being charged with Accessory to Carjacking and Failure to Stop on Police Command. The unidentified second suspect ran away from the scene and is still at large.

Members of the RCSD's K9 team assisted in the search for him.

Investigators are still searching for a second suspect.