Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:37:29 GMT — COLUMBIA, S.C. (WACH/AP) -- South Carolina Education Superintendent Mick Zais has withdrawn the state from testing for new standards next year. Zais wrote the chairman of the South Carolina Board of Education on Monday saying Zais has learned he has the authority to withdraw South Carolina from a consortium that would test Common Core standards. Zais says he decided to pull out of the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium so South Carolina can consider alternatives to the tests. According to a spokesperson for the state education department the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium is a college ready test designed for high high school students. The state education department said withdrawing from the Smarter Balanced Assessment will not stop the implementation of common core. Education leaders are searching for a replacement before the full implementation of common core starts next school year. The Common Core standards and the tests to measure their effectiveness have been criticized as an attempt to nationalize education.
South Carolina Education Association President Jackie Hicks says it's a mistake to abandon the process that had already been approved.
To read the letter Dr. Zais wrote to the state board of education, click here.