TRAVELERS REST, S.C. (AP) -- A Travelers Rest man has died after a firework exploded in his hands on July Fourth.
The Greenville County Coroner's Office says 54-year-old Robin Rhodes Smith died on the way to a hospital around 9:45 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say Smith had been shooting fireworks in his yard. A mortar round-type with a 4-inch opening at the top, failed to ignite.
Investigators say Smith took the firework out of the ground and used a pocket knife to install a new fuse. Witnesses say Smith was holding the firework against his chest when it went off.
An autopsy was scheduled Friday.