South Carolina State Board of Trustee Members met Friday afternoon by teleconference to discuss new attributes they want in their applicants for their interim and permanent president vacancies.
The 13 members passed new characteristics they hope to gain from the next President. The university faced controversy in the last couple of months. Current President George Cooper resigned earlier this month amid controversy surrounding financial mismanagement as well as criminal and unethical allegations. His resignation goes in effect March 30.
Students say they would have liked to have a new president by now, but understand the school is doing its due diligence to find the right hire.
The attributes will be posted on the school's website for interested applicants. They are as follows:
1. Former/sitting President; or individual with extensive higher education administrative experience.
2. Earned doctorate from a nationally recognized accredited institution.
3. Experience in business, fiscal and budgetary management.
4. Comprehensive experience in academia with an understanding of shared governance.
5. A distinguished record of published articles in peer reviewed journals;
6. Demonstrated leadership in relationship building toward fundraising (planned giving and endowments);
7. Knowledgeable of SACS requirements and other accrediting bodies;
8. Experienced visionary leader with tangible performance results;
9. An appreciation of SC Stateâ??s distinctive culture and values, its special niche in higher education, and an understanding of the mission of an 1890/Research Institution;
10. Proven record in increasing student enrollment, retention, and graduation rates;
11. Effective listening and team building skills;
12. Ability to interact with a diverse group of constituents (board, faculty, staff, students, parents, community, alumni, state and federal governments, corporate executives, and all other stakeholders);
13. Passionate about the Universityâ??s environment and commitment to a top rated, healthy and safe educational experience.
Anyone interested should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org.