Several displaced after apartment fire near Carolina Stadium

Three story building fire at The Club at Carolina Stadium Apartments.

COLUMBIA (WACH) - Twenty-one people are displaced after an overnight fire at The Club at Carolina Stadium Apartments.

According to a Columbia Richland Fire Assistant Fire Chief Jamie Helms crews responded to the blaze shortly after midnight Thursday.

Helms says many of the people living here were saved thanks to neighbors.

Neighbor Rachel Kerley's apartment overlooks the unit that went up in flames.

She says the fire quickly spread through the building and lasted for more than two hours.

"There were people taking out their big screen tv's from the apartments, all sort of things, people out here crying , it's just terrifying," said Kerley .

â??Occupants were asleep awaken by neighbors still the chaotic of everything trying to figure out who those neighbors were alerting people and we do have reports that smoke alarms were going off."

Around 50 to 60 Firefighters battled the fire at a three story apartment building.

The Red Cross is providing financial assistance to replace food and clothing to those displaced and is giving everyone hygiene kits, which include essential items like a toothbrush, soap and shampoo.

There are no injuries to report.

Helms reminds everyone who lives in an apartment complex to consider getting renters insurance.

Helms says the fire caused more than $300,000 worth of damage.

Still no word yet on the cause of the fire.