COLUMBIA (WACH) ?? Here are the Top Five things you need to know this Thursday:
1. A former Greenville County Deputy has been arrested. Authorities were called about an intoxicated man threatening to blow up his home. Former deputy Vic Vickers was taken to a hospital for evaluation. Authorities didn't find explosives in the home, but did find sheriff's office property. Vickers was charged with breach of peace, misconduct in office, and breach of trust.
2. Todd and Moore is celebrating their 70th anniversary this morning. The celebration will be an all-day event lasting from 9 a-m to 7 p-m, with a special ceremony at noon to honor employees.
3. This morning the CDC has issued its highest level alert for the Ebola crisis in West Africa. CDC chief Tom Frieden says they moved to a level 1 response given the virus??s' potential to affect many lives. Level 1 means increased staff and resources will be devoted to the outbreak.
4. President Obama will sign a new bill today revamping the Department of Veteran Affairs. The bill was passed in Congress during reports of long wait lines and poor care at VA hospitals. The bill will stop scheduled bonuses for VA employees. It will also give veterans the ability to seek private care. The VA Secretary will be given the authority to fire Senior officials under this bill.
5. The Oscar Pistorius trial comes to a close this morning. Prosecutors and lawyers for Pistorius will present their closing arguments today and tomorrow. The once celebrated athlete has been accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. The fate of the Olympic athlete will be in the hands of the judge.