Trick-or-treating safety tips
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 03:50:58 GMT —
COLUMBIA, SC (WACH) - Thinking about Halloween candy as a dessert is how Doctor Kevin Raines views it. He says it's all about the impact a sweet treat can have on the mouth.
"You get into trouble when you're getting lots and it's all day long," said Dr. Kevin Raines, a dentist at Palmetto Smiles. "It feeds that bacteria you have in your mouth and it can produce an acid.â??
Raines says having acid on your teeth can generate tooth decay.
Candies that can cause acid on the teeth are those that are sour. Rinsing your mouth with water is way to neutralize it.
â??The longer acid is in the mouth, the more chance that PH has to drop causing more problems leading to things like cavities," said Raines.
Tomorrow the streets will be filled with little ghouls and goblins, and while it is important to worry about your health, here are a few safety tips while you are trick-or-treating.
â?¢ Be sure to use a flashlight.
â?¢ Pick well lit streets and houses with outside lights.
â?¢ Have an adult to accompany children.
â?¢ Discard any unwrapped candy.