COLUMBIA (WACH) - Thanksgiving means home to many people, but that doesn't mean you need to be stuck indoors this holiday. Columbia is brimming with activities this weekend, so I put together a list of my top 10 picks for festive fun.
1) Volunteer!! We have several fantastic charity organizations working double-time to make sure no one in this community need go hungry. Remember, the true measure of a society is how well it treats the least of it's members. A few locations that could use your helping hand this holiday are Angels House Ministry, City of Columbia Winter Shelter, Cooperative Ministries, Hannah House, Transitions, Harvest Hope Food Bank, and The Salvation Army of the Midlands.
2) Check out Saluda Shoals Park tonight for Holiday Lights on the River, beginning at sunset and running through the end of the year.
3) A great way to crank up your metabolism before the big feast is to participate in the Turkey Trot at Lake Carolina Village Green. It starts Thanksgiving morning Thursday at 9:00 AM.
4) Another Turkey Trot at Golden Hills Golf & Country Club beginning at 7:30 AM on Thursday morning. You can choose to do a 1K, 2.5K, 5K walk or run.
5) Boys & Girls Clubs of the Midlands Turkey Day 5K at the Colonial Life Arena Thursday at 8:45 AM.
6) For the first time ever, the City of Columbia opens Main Street Ice at Boyd Plaza. Families can do figure eights for FREE from 5:00 - 9:00 PM beginning this Thursday.
7) The Christmas classic "The Nutcracker" will be performed by the Carolina Ballet at Township Auditorium Friday and Saturday at 7:30 PM with a Sunday matinee 3:00 PM.
8) A great holiday musical "The Winter Wonderettes" will be at the Town Theatre Friday through December 8. Showtimes at 8:00 PM, with a Sunday matinee at 3:00 PM.
9) A production by the wee ones called "The Christmas Doll" at Columbia Children's Theatre at Midtown Forest Acres Friday through December 2
10) The highly anticipated Lights Before Christmas out at the Riverbanks Zoo & Garden beginning Saturday from 6:00 - 9:00 PM through December 30.
Happy holidays from all of us here at WACH Fox!!