6-year-old girl only survivor of massacre in Illinois
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:39:05 GMT —
MANCHESTER, ILL. (WACH/AP) - Authorities are investigating the slayings of five people whose bodies were found in a house in the tiny Scott County community of Manchester. A suspect is in custody.
According to KHQA-TV, "The shooter was taken into custody at 7:27 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to Lieutenant Todd Kilbey with the Illinois State Police. He was in critical condition when taken to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead. Kilbey also confirms multiple weapons were found when the suspect was taken into custody."
Illinois State Police spokeswoman Monique Bond says the victims were found early Wednesday morning in the southwestern Illinois community, 50 miles west of Springfield. She didn't have any details on the deaths or the circumstances surrounding the capture of the suspect.
KHQA reports a 6-year-old girl was injured, but survived.
A school superintendent in the area says he was informed by sheriffs early Wednesday morning that the victims had been shot to death. Les Stevens of the North Greene School District says he canceled classes because authorities warned him at the time that the suspect was at large. The district has since been informed that the man was captured.
Manchester is a small town of less than 300 people, about 85 miles east of Quincy and 18 miles south of Jacksonville, according to KHQA.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)