Former Clemson star Hopkins denies role in hotel room incident
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 21:06:03 GMT —
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WACH) - Former Clemson receiver DeAndre Hopkins has denied his involvement in a trashed hotel room registered in his name at February's NFL combine.
The room in question was on the first floor of the Crowne Plaza in Indianapolis where players stay and team officials hold interviews during the annual event.
Earlier this week, Yahoo! Sports reported the room had human waste littering the bathroom, and half-eaten food and garbage in the room.
Late Thursday, Hopkins told FOXSports.com the room was fine when he checked out.
"Luckily, thank God, my agent got my flight booked early or it really would've been questionable if I did [it] or not," Hopkins told the website. "My agent got my flight booked early. He told me hurry up."
ESPN reported Thursday that the room was registered to Hopkins and former Rutgers receiver Mark Harrison.
Harrison's agent denies his client had anything to do with the incident.
Hopkins also says Harrison is not to blame.
"I say check the cameras. That's the best way that you're going to get the answer. Check the cameras and check the timing of everything," Hopkins said in the interview. "I got done before Mark Harrison, so I was already packed. I already took a shower and packed and everything. Mark came in and we spoke for at least 20 minutes about the combine. Then the bellman came in and helped me get my bags out. And I left. That's, honestly, all I can say."
Hopkins said he heard the news that his room was trashed and covered in feces the day after he flew out of town.
Some suggest the timing of the reports could impact the draft status of both players. Hopkins is projected as a first or second round pick, and it's possible that status could be in jeopardy if NFL personnel now feel he has character issues.
The 2013 NFL Draft opens Thursday, April 25 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.