NCAA announces USC Football investigation
Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:11:51 GMT —
COLUMBIA (WACH, AP) -- South Carolina has been notified by the NCAA that the Gamecocks football program is being investigated.Related Stories Carolina Ranked 24th in AP; 25th in Coaches Poll Gamecocks' Spurrier unsure of players' return Garcia & Freshmen make big impact in season opener
Athletic department spokesman Steve Fink said Thursday the school has received an official letter of inquiry from the NCAA.
The letter does not detail the subject of any investigation.
South Carolina was hoping offensive lineman Jarriel King and cornerback Chris Culliver would be cleared by the governing body for Saturday's game against Georgia. The players were sidelined for the team's win against Southern Mississippi last week as the NCAA reviewed their eligibility.
Tight end Weslye Saunders talked to the NCAA over the summer about potential contact with agents. He has been suspended since Aug. 23 but coach Steve Spurrier says it's not related to any NCAA probe.
The university issued a statement Thursday from President Dr. Harris Pastides. I assure our fans and community that we will do what is right for the university," Pastides explains. "Winning and playing by the rules go hand in hand. And playing by the rules is the only way to win. We will continue to cooperate with the NCAA investigation as we have in the past regarding possible rules violations, Dr. Harris Pastides, USC president, said. While we are working in full cooperation with the NCAA, our expectations have always been that our student-athletes and staff maintain highest NCAA standards.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)