Free lunch summer program returns June 11 for Lex-Richland District 5
IMRO, S.C. (WACH)-- The Lexington-Richland School District Five Summer Food Service Program returns next Monday.
The program runs from June 11 until August 3 and will provide thousands of free meals to children between the ages of 2 and 18-years-old.
Meals are provided on a first come first serve basis and are typically provided to families who have difficulty providing balanced meals to their children during the summer months.
Last summer District Five served over 59,000 meals.
Todd Bedenbaugh, School District Five’s Director of Student Nutrition, simply stated, “Poverty does not take a break in the summer and neither do we.”
It is important to note that the program does not offer meals on Fridays or during the week of July 2.
Open sites are as follows:
- Edventure’s Children Museum Lunch 11:00 – 1:00 Snack 3:30 – 4:00
- 211 Gervais St., Columbia
- Irmo High School - Breakfast 7:30-9:00 Lunch 11:30-1:00 6671 St. Andrews Rd., Columbia
- Dutch Fork High School - Lunch 11:30-12:30 1400 Old Tamah Rd., Irmo
- Harbison West Elementary School- Breakfast 9:00-9:30 Lunch 12:15-12:45
- 257 Crossbow Drive, Columbia, **Program dates are June 18-July 26 **
In addition to the sites listed above, other organizations are participating in the Summer Food Service Program. However, these are closed sites that aren’t open to the general public. They are as follows:
- Elevate-Columbia First Nazarene Church
- H.E. Corley Champs Academy
- Irmo Elementary Honey Bunch of Champs
- Irmo Middle School
- River’s Edge Retreat
- Seven Oaks Park
- St. Paul AME Youth Enrichment Academy
- YMCA-Northeast location