Columbia Police Chief stands by decision to shut down Empire Supper Club
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WACH)-- Chief Holbrook of the Columbia Police Department finalized his decision to revoke the city-issued business license of the Empire Supper Club Thursday afternoon.
An official notice of the decision has been served to the business owner Joseph Stovall and his attorney Bakari Sellers.
The club was deemed a public nuisance after a shootout over a rap beef occurred and injured eight people.
Before the Sept. 16 shooting, Stovall had been operating the business on Lady Street for about eighteen months. He told WACH FOX News he felt the club being shut down was the wrong decision.
"When you have a person do such a thing, that is the problem. How do you prevent that?" said Stovall Saturday.
Eight victims were wounded and sent to Palmetto Health Richland, with ages ranging from 22 to 52 years of age. Holbrook said most of the victims are in their mid-20s. Most are from Columbia or neighboring counties, but one victim is from out-of-state.
Four men have been charged in connection with the shooting and deputies continue to search for more suspects.
- John Bates, Jr, 28 - Seven (7) counts of attempted murder, Possession of a firearm during a violent crime, and possession of a weapon by a person convicted of a violent crime
- Jarvis Tucker, 26 - Accessory after the fact
- Keveas Gallman, 28 - One (1) count of attempted murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of a weapon during a violent crime
- Maleik Houseal, 22 - Unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm by a person convicted of a violent crime